One of the goals I set for this year was to become physically fit, more so than I’ve been previously. I have to say, I’m doing pretty well on this one, but I could definitely do better. Here’s the rundown of how things have been going.
- I’ve been going to Zumba twice a week at the Y and have only missed due to illness. I’m able to get through the 45 min. class without an inhaler (couldn’t do more than 15 min. w/o it last fall). I’m able to push myself more and more w/ each week as far as increasing the level of difficulty for myself w/ the various moves. My flexibility, strength and stamina have increased thanks to Zumba. I can move in ways I didn’t know I was capable of!
- Haven’t stayed on track very well with weightlifting. I’m definitely still stronger and more toned than I was, but I’d like to get more definition. Hubby and I have fallen off the bandwagon a bit here due to being so busy and tired that we just can’t seem to force ourselves down to the home gym 3x/week. Hoping we’ll get ourselves back on track soon.
- Can easily do a mile on the elliptical in under 12 min. now, without needing the inhaler. Feeling like I could do more, but haven’t pushed myself yet as this is usually a warm up before doing weights and I don’t want to be up all night. I’m thinking I should try to find some other time of day to try to do more of this.
- Overall feeling much stronger. I’m able to do a lot more and hubby is taking notice. Over the weekend we did a lot of landscaping work and I was able to lift and wheelbarrow heavy objects up & down our steep hills, which I could not do last summer. Also, I didn’t get sore after that long day of work! I also didn’t get sore after 3 long nights of rehearsals and concert last month, which did happen the last concert weekend and all previous ones. I usually get a sore back and shoulders, but not this time. Guess holding that viola up for 9+ hours in 3 nights isn’t as much work as it used to be!
- One problem. I’ve gained weight. 😦 I know that part of it is muscle that I’ve gained, but for some reason I’ve packed on a little around the middle. I think I’m eating more as a result of burning more calories. I’m hungry from all the extra exercise that my body is probably still adjusting to. I need to cut back on portions and watch the junk food. I have a Pepsi habit that I really should kick. I usually only drink 1 can/day, but there are some days where I have 2-3 sodas. Just a bunch of extra calories that I could easily do without. I quit Pepsi when I was pregnant, so why can’t I do it now? Just need to force myself one of these days! I also need to drink more water. I get headaches on the days I do Zumba and I think it’s because I’m not hydrating enough.
With all that in mind I have some mini goals to help me achieve the main goal:
- Drink more water, especially on work-out days
- Quit Pepsi (this is not going to be easy!)
- Portion control (I know I’m overeating)
- Get back into the weight routine
- Try to find more time for elliptical and push past the 1 mile mark
- Try to keep more fresh fruits and healthy snacks in the house, don’t over do the carbs
- Get pilates in at least once/week. So far have only done the video once and was sore for 5 days, so I know I was working muscles that need it!
I’ll try to update again in a few months and really hoping that the few extra pounds disappear in that time!!