Last night at my GBAMOM meeting (super fun BTW), we discussed our goals for 2009. I wouldn’t say I really have any “resolutions” this year, but there are several things I’d like to accomplish, or try to improve upon. I’ve never kept any resolutions in the past, and many years haven’t even made any. Goals seem more realistic. Instead of trying to change old habits, why not just try something new or improve on something you’re already doing? That seems so much more attainable. So, here’s the list I’ve been carrying around in my head…
- Improve our financial situation as much as possible. This one is already in progress as we’re refinancing the house and discovered that my FINAL student loan payment will be due in June of this year. In addition to that, I plan to keep up with the couponing and try to add in some comparison shopping, only buying the best deals each week, possibly from multiple stores. A guest post over at MoneySavingMom today said it best. “It’s not about how much we save, it’s about how little we spend.” If we do it right, maybe that savings balance will start to go up instead of down!
- Try to do more baking. I do love to bake, but it can be hard to find the time. I think if I try to fit it into the weekly routine, and just choose one or two simple items each week it should work out nicely. It’s always nice to have some muffins or banana bread as an alternative to the cereal routine.
- Try to institute a rotating lunch menu (maybe breakfast too). I got this idea from Shelly and I think it would be a great time saver and stress reliever. I’ve already compiled a list of favorite lunch items. Now I just need to determine the schedule and shop according to it.
- Spend more time outside with the kids. The boys are finally getting old enough that it will be easier to get out and do more with them. So, this summer, I really hope to get out to the park more with the kids and even just spend more time enjoying our own yard. And, still this winter, I need to get them out in the snow!!
- Try to find a little more “me time”. I have WAY too many unfinished projects and boatloads of scrapbooking stuff. I really need to find some time to sit in my craft room and use what I have to preserve our memories. I also really should finish all those wall hanging quilts that are partly done, piling up in the closet. I’d also like to take a little time for exercise. I REALLY want to go take Zumba classes at the Y, but it’s been hard to fit into my schedule so far. I’m hoping I’ll be able to squeeze it in this spring!
- Take a family vacation. This one has been on my mind for years! Even if we just go camping, I’ll be happy. I just really want to take the kids someplace new, get away from home for a while, and just have fun with the kids. Now that the boys are over 2, there’s a lot less gear to pack and a lot more we can do with them. Family vacations are such a great way to build strong relationships with your kids. I really hope we can do it this year!
I have high hopes for this year. I think if I continue to do some of the new things I started in 2008 and find ways to do them even better, I can only come out ahead. And hopefully I’ll find the time to jot some of those things down along the way so that maybe I can help someone else at the same time!