It’s been a busy summer…

Wow, it’s been a while since my last post.  Like most of my projects, I got off to a good start and then stalled for a while.  Things have been pretty busy around here though, so I guess that is my excuse.  Here’s a brief recap of what we’ve been up to…

June 21-29 was our vacation.  Brian took off that week and we had a whole list of things we wanted to do.  We kicked off our vacation with a weekend in Wabeno visiting Brian’s parents.  Overall it was an okay weekend.  We had a nice visit and enjoyed Saturday’s cookout and campfire, but there were a few hiccups along the way.  I never sleep well the first night, but luckily I made up for it by sharing the boys’ nap on Saturday.  Saturday night Brian got a call from work that there were major network problems that had to be resolved by Monday, so that meant he had to work when we got home on Sunday.  And, all three kids got sick as the day progressed on Sunday.  When we got home Sunday night it was apparent that Monday would be a total loss, and it was.  The boys had fevers, Emily was coughing, and we pretty much spent the day trying to keep everyone comfortable.  Monday was also our anniversary, but no celebrating for us.  Tuesday the kids were doing a little better, so we ran some errands and got some shopping done.  Wednesday, we were finally able to start tackling that list we’d made.  We spent the afternoon digging up the grass where we put the kids’ new playhouse, so we could put rubber mulch chips down to make a nice play area.  After that, we headed down to Appleton to meet up with Brian’s brother and his family at the mall.  We had dinner, did some shopping, and then brought our niece Allie home with us.  (Brian surprised me with ruby earrings and necklace that he picked up at the mall for our anniversary!).  Thursday we took the 4 kids to Bay Beach Amusement Park and Wildlife Sanctuary.  Bringing Allie along was a great idea.  The girls had a lot of fun going on all the kiddie rides together.  Brian and I were able to take all the kids on the helicopter ride and the train.  The kids also had a great time in the wading pool, which was the boys’ first intro to swimming.  When we got done at the amusement park, we headed over to the sanctuary to see a few of the animals there.  We didn’t stay long since everyone was pretty tired, but we did get to see a lot of cool animals, including a pregnant cougar lounging in a hammock.  Then it was back to Appleton to drop off Allie.  Friday was just a relaxing day at home.  We originally planned to go to the Maritime Museum in Manitowoc, but Thursday wore us out.  Saturday we headed downtown to the farmers market and then walked down Broadway to check out a couple shops.  Then out to Titletown Brewing Company for lunch.  Over the course of the weekend, Brian made a couple birdhouses, which Emily and I then painted.  It was a nice week, even though we didn’t get to everything that was on our list. 

Last week was a busy one as well.  Tuesday, we had our first official playdate.  I took the kids up to Memorial Park in Pulaski to meet up with a gal I’d met at GBAMOM and her three kids.  It was a gorgeous day.  The kids all played nicely at the park and then we had a picnic lunch.  It was nice to hang out with another mom of twins and it turns out we have a lot in common, so I’m hoping we’ll do it again soon!  Friday we met up with another family at Fire over the Fox.  Chad works with Brian and he and his wife have four kids (ages 4, 3, 22mo., and 9mo.!!).  We walked around a bit, managed to have dinner at a restaurant with 7 kids, and walked a bit more.  We came to realize that the kids were not going to last another 2 hours waiting to see the fireworks, so we all headed back to our house to hang out.  Emily had lots of fun playing with her new friends and we parents got to chat a bit and relax.  Saturday we had Brian’s brother and his family up to our house for the day.  We all went strawberry picking after lunch.  I picked 10lbs. of berries, which on Monday I made into 4 jars of jam, strawberry bread, strawberry peach cobbler, and a few in the freezer to make ice cream later!  We grilled shish-ka-bobs for dinner and just hung out.  Sunday we went down to New Berlin to visit my family.  My parents watched the kids while Brian and I went out for a nice lunch.  When we returned, my brother and sister had arrived, so we all sat out in the backyard.  Mom had a huge pile of waterguns and a bucket of water, so many watergun fights ensued.  It was a lot of fun.  More grilled goodies for dinner.  It was a very busy, very fun (and yummy!) weekend.

So, that’s what’s been keeping me away from the blog.  I’ll try to write more often…  I hope.  🙂


Leave a comment

Filed under Emmy, Life, Outdoors, The Twins

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s